Search blog

Tuesday 10 November 2015

"A Noble Death" the story behind the poem

Remembrance Day is tomorrow, and coming with it is my poem "A Noble Death", which is making it's public debut and will be available for the world to read for the first time ever!

"A Noble Death" focuses on World War I, and is written from the perspective of the Canadian soldiers. It speaks to, pays tribute, and acknowledges the sacrifices made for the freedoms we enjoy, take for granted, and sometimes don't appreciate today. The story of how this poem came to be and it's journey since then is an interesting one to say the least.

It began five years ago. It was in spring of 2010 when I first wrote "A Noble Death". I was having trouble sleeping and started thinking about everything I knew and had learnt in school and other places about war and Canadian history, and about how terrible it [war] is. Ideas for this poem began to formulate in my head, so I sat up, grabbed the notepad pencil and flashlight I keep on my bedside table for just such occasions, and started scribbling lines down.

I eventually fell asleep, and when I awoke the next day I wrote a rough draft. A couple of days later, after I did some editing and made a few final touch-ups, I typed out a final copy, and that is the poem you all enjoy today. But it doesn't end there, oh no.

A few days before I actually wrote or got the idea for this poem, everyone in my grade 10 history class was given an assignment to do either a poster or a poem which focuses on WWI. I ended up submitting this poem which earned top marks; and it went on to be read at the schools Remembrance Day assemblies three years in a row.

I wanted to get some more honest feedback on it, so in September the following school-year, I showed it to my grade 11 math teacher who loved it, and he loved it so much that he always encouraged me to keep writing and to never stop. It was in this school-year that my poem was first read at the school's annual Remembrance Day assembly in November 2010.

A few years later in November 2012, I submitted my poem "A Noble Death" to a contest hosted by The Royal Canadian Legion. It went on to win second place in that contest!
I was awarded the second place prize on Sunday March 3, 2013 at a Royal Canadian Legion branch in Toronto at the annual award ceremony!

Vickram Bachan receives award from Mr. John Holloway
of The Royal Canadian Legion