Search blog

Tuesday 17 November 2015

The importance of literature, 14 years since first "Harry Potter" movie, my journey through reading and writing

Yesterday was a pretty big day... well for me anyway; but for many others too, I'm sure.
I meant to post and share this story yesterday, but I was busy and didn't get around to it, sorry for the bit of lateness!  But I suppose a one day delay is better than not posting it at all, or worse, a two day delay. (I know, I need to sort out my priorities).  Anyway, what I'm about to share with you is quite important to me, and you'll see why as you read on.

Yesterday we celebrated the 14th anniversary of the first "Harry Potter" movie!
It was on this day (November 16, 2001) 14 years ago when the magic and an incredible journey began!  As "Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone" [Sorcerers Stone] saw its theatrical release, I had just settled into the second grade.

Back then I could not read very well at all, I hated reading and I didn't like it when people told me reading was good for me. I especially hated when people tried to force me to read. I think I hated reading mostly because I wasn't very good at it.  Even though I couldn't read all that well back then, I'd always liked writing and wanted to write even then, but of course my spelling was terrible.

"Harry Potter" has made a big difference and had a huge impact on my life.  It all started when I was in grade 2. Back in September 2001, prior to the highly anticipated release of the first "Harry Potter" movie, my teacher was reading the book to my class. 

"Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone" was first published and released in the UK in 1997, so it was still fairly new when my teacher was reading it to my class. The second and third books were even more relatively new, and the fourth book had just been released in 2000.
For those who don't know, the "Harry Potter" series has seven amazing books, written by the amazing author J.K.Rowling; which are re-released every few years with brand new covers in both hardcover and paperback.
1. Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Anyway, as I was saying, my teacher was reading the first book to my class just as the first movie was coming out. Once I got a taste of Harry Potter, I began to want to read the books. I asked my mom to get me the books which she did without hesitation, she bought me the box set with the first four books, which is how the box set was available at the time.  A few months after November when "Philosopher's Stone" was released on VHS my mom also bought me that, and my teacher had finished reading the book to my class and had moved on to other stories.
But I was still hooked on Harry Potter, I'd really liked it. I wanted to know more about the story. What happens next? The second movie was a year away from release, and I just couldn't wait that long, so I began to read the books and in the process started becoming a much better reader.

Fast-forward to November 15, 2002 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets opened in theaters.


TO BE CONTINUED...  Stay tuned for the rest of this very interesting story!